Been a little quiet here lately, for which I apologize -- trying to get out from under a bad cold. I hate this kind of sickness, where my head is just cloudy enough to sllllow everythinnnnng dowwwwwn. Blech.
But the good news is, I'd already put a chicken in brine for Saturday night's dinner before my health took a turn for the worse, so that roast chicken gave us not only a full meal for Saturday night and snacks on Sunday, but enough homemade stock and shredded meat for a Monday lunch of spicy, rich, savory, sinus-clearing chicken noodle soup.
Recipe-like list of stuff for two large servings:
- 3 cups of chicken stock
- half a package of rice noodles (I like a very noodle-y soup)
- 1 cooked chicken breast, shredded
- 3 scallions, sliced
- 1 clove garlic, sliced
- 1 tsp powdered ginger
- a few splashes of soy sauce
- a little lemon juice
- a big glob of sambal oelek (or sriracha, or Tabasco, or something else for HEAT)
- 1 star anise (don't forget to remove before eating)
Ah. Yes. Breathe in the steam. Slurp up the noodles. Don't leave any of the broth. And get some rest!